Welcome To SIMR Bioengineering Internship!
"There's nothing I believe in more strongly than getting young people interested in science and engineering, for a better tomorrow, for all humankind." - Bill Nye
Stanford Institutes of Medicine Research (SIMR) Bioengineering (BioE) Internship is an intensive interactive eight-week outreach program designed with two major objectives:
- To expose high school students from diverse backgrounds to the enticing field of bioengineering
- To provide students with hands-on engineering experience in the process of Biodesign
Students work together in teams under guidance of a team of Stanford graduate students on identifying important medical needs and engineering practical solutions for these needs.
Students in SIMR BioE Internship learn about various BioE research topics (tissue engineering, biomaterials, biomechanics, synthetic biology, etc.) through weekly lectures. Students also learn about the Biodesign process and apply the process on a real-world biodesign project that addresses a medical need. Students will have access to many of Stanford's rich resources and innovative environment, engage with knowledgable personnel in the field (Stanford clinicians, professors, and graduate students), and get hands-on experience with prototyping and machining to bring their ideas into reality. Not only does BioE Internship provide students with an intellectual atmosphere, we also provide a friendly social atmosphere by encouraging students to engage in conversations and various social activities with fellow peers to emphasize the importance of strong communication skills and networking. Not to mention, there is no fee for participating in SIMR BioE Internship besides the application fee.
To be eligible and considered for the BioE Internship program, students must be:
- Current juniors or seniors as of Spring 2020
- In the graduating class of 2020 or 2021
- Must be 16 years old or older by the start of the program (June 15, 2020)
- A U.S. citizen or permanent resident with a green card
- December 15, 2019 - Application available online
- February 22, 2020 - Application deadine (11:59 PM PST)
- June 15, 2020 - Start of BioE Internship
- August 6, 2020 - End of BioE Internship